Could You Describe the Ruckus, Sir?

Welcome to Vicky Bell's blog.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Yummier than it sounds.......

I only like to cook in winter, and even then I  keep it to a minimum.  This is one of my favorite winter recipes because nearly everything can be measured out and combined ahead of time, then put into plastic bags or glass jars and sit until you're ready.  Although the recipe calls for chicken broth I use bouillon so I can include it with the other dry ingredients.  I usually combine enough ingredients (separately) for 4 or 5 meals, which gets me through the winter.

Lentil Rice Casserole (sounds yucky but we all like it)

3 bouillon cubes, chicken
3/4 cup uncooked lentils
1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
1/2 tsp sweet basil
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Combine and save for another day...

When ready to cook add:
3/4 cup chopped fresh onion and
3 cups hot water

Cover and bake
300 degrees
1.5 hours.

Top with grated chedder cheese if desired, during last 20 minutes.

Serve with a nice crusty brown bread if you are very hungry.  But it's yummy all by itself.  :-)

6 comments:

  1. sounds good. But would involve getting off of the couch..so I think its a "no-go" for today. I am pretending I am a cat all day, maybe tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! I think it sounds pretty good. I think I'll make it over the weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really good, will have to try it. I'm like you, I only want to cook in the winter. Of course, the summer is good for grilling - but that's Ed's job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *bouillon - not like you to make spelling mistakes :-P

    ReplyDelete